[Marxism] Fwd: The Politics of a Punch: Richard Spencer and the Black Bloc

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 27 10:54:44 MST 2017

Unless you do not own a computer or have been in a coma for the past
week, you are probably aware of alt-right leader Richard Spencer getting
punched in the face by a man dressed in black bloc garb. For a
beleaguered left, this became as inspirational as the appearance of a
silhouette of Jesus on the sidewalk created by bucket of paint dropped
accidentally from the top floor of a building under construction would
be for Christians. In either case, there is little connection between
overcoming the evils of capitalism or Satan but it matters little to
those desperately in search of a victory.

One of those believers is Natasha Lennard who wrote an article for The
Nation breathlessly announcing “Neo-Nazi Richard Spencer Got Punched—You
Can Thank the Black Bloc”. For Lennard, the punch was a “transcendental
experience”, akin to watching Roger Federer. Not being a tennis fan, it
is a bit hard for me to relate to this. Maybe if she said it was like
watching Muhammad Ali deck Joe Frazier, it would have had more resonance
but Spencer hardly seemed worse off 15 seconds after the punch.

Lennard was not only a reporter; she was a participant in a black bloc
action that consisted of 500 people, the largest she bragged since the
antiwar protests ten years ago. I suppose if the USA had the same
population as Iceland, this might have been impressive. I admit that if
the goal is to run around in black clothes and break windows that number
might count for something. Leonard describes the experience as if it
were akin to a Sufi ceremony rather than a political protest: “You don’t
know who does what in a bloc, you don’t look to find out. If bodies run
out of formation to take a rock to a Starbucks window, they melt back to
the bloc in as many seconds. Bodies reconciled, kinetic beauty.” Bodies
reconciled, kinetic beauty? I hate to sound like an old stick in the mud
but knocking over a trash can happens all the time in my neighborhood as
drunken 24-year old Ivy League graduates pour out of sports bars late
Saturday night.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/01/27/the-politics-of-a-punch-richard-spencer-and-the-black-bloc/