[Marxism] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Won’t Attend Oscar Ceremony

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 29 10:47:13 MST 2017

(I am a great admirer of Farhadi's work even though I had major problem
with his latest film. It is outrageous that he is being barred from the
USA. With Trump defunding the National Endowment for the Arts, this is
just another indication that we are a truly barbarian nation.)

NY Times, Jan. 29 2017
Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi Won’t Attend Oscar Ceremony
By THOMAS ERDBRINK and RACHEL DONADIO

TEHRAN — The Iranian director Asghar Farhadi, whose film “The Salesman”
is nominated for an Academy Award for best foreign-language movie, said
on Sunday that he would not attend the Oscars ceremony next month even
if he were granted an exception to President Trump’s visa ban for
citizens from Iran and several other predominantly Muslim countries.

Mr. Farhadi said he had planned to attend the Feb. 26 ceremony in Los
Angeles and while there bring attention to a decision he called
“unjust.” But the executive order signed by President Trump on Friday
presented “ifs and buts which are in no way acceptable to me even if
exceptions were to be made for my trip,” he said in a statement to The
New York Times.

The executive order blocked entry into the United States for 90 days for
citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. It also
suspended entry of all refugees for 120 days and barred Syrian refugees
indefinitely.

Here is Mr. Farhadi’s statement:

I regret to announce via this statement that I have decided to not
attend the Academy Awards Ceremony alongside my fellow members of the
cinematic community.

Over the course of the past few days and despite the unjust
circumstances which have risen for the immigrants and travelers of
several countries to the United States, my decision had remained the
same: to attend this ceremony and to express my opinions about these
circumstances in the press surrounding the event. I neither had the
intention to not attend nor did I want to boycott the event as a show of
objection, for I know that many in the American film industry and the
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are opposed to the
fanaticism and extremism which are today taking place more than ever.
Just as I had stated to my distributor in the United States on the day
the nominees were announced, that I would be attending this ceremony
along with my cinematographer, I continued to believe that I would be
present at this great cultural event.

However, it now seems that the possibility of this presence is being
accompanied by ifs and buts which are in no way acceptable to me even if
exceptions were to be made for my trip. I would therefore like to convey
via this statement what I would have expressed to the press were I to
travel to the United States. Hard-liners, despite their nationalities,
political arguments and wars, regard and understand the world in very
much the same way. In order to understand the world, they have no choice
but to regard it via an “us and them” mentality, which they use to
create a fearful image of “them” and inflict fear in the people of their
own countries.

This is not just limited to the United States; in my country hardliners
are the same. For years on both sides of the ocean, groups of hardliners
have tried to present to their people unrealistic and fearful images of
various nations and cultures in order to turn their differences into
disagreements, their disagreements into enmities and their enmities into
fears. Instilling fear in the people is an important tool used to
justify extremist and fanatic behavior by narrow-minded individuals.

However, I believe that the similarities among the human beings on this
earth and its various lands, and among its cultures and its faiths, far
outweigh their differences. I believe that the root cause of many of the
hostilities among nations in the world today must be searched for in
their reciprocal humiliation carried out in its past and no doubt the
current humiliation of other nations are the seeds of tomorrow’s
hostilities. To humiliate one nation with the pretext of guarding the
security of another is not a new phenomenon in history and has always
laid the groundwork for the creation of future divide and enmity. I
hereby express my condemnation of the unjust conditions forced upon some
of my compatriots and the citizens of the other six countries trying to
legally enter the United States of America and hope that the current
situation will not give rise to further divide between nations.