[Marxism] Acting Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not to Defend Refugee Ban

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 30 16:36:45 MST 2017

NY Times, Jan. 30 2017
Acting Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not to Defend Refugee Ban
By MATT APUZZO and ERIC LICHTBLAU

WASHINGTON — Acting Attorney General Sally Q. Yates, a holdover from the
Obama administration, ordered the Justice Department on Monday not to
defend President Trump’s executive order on immigration in court.

“I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court
remain consistent with this institution’s solemn obligation to always
seek justice and stand for what is right,” Ms. Yates wrote in a letter
to Justice Department lawyers. “At present, I am not convinced that the
defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities
nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful.”

The decision is largely symbolic — Mr. Trump’s nominee to be attorney
general, Jeff Sessions, is likely to be confirmed soon — but it
highlights the deep divide at the Justice Department and elsewhere in
the government over Mr. Trump’s order.

Mr. Trump has the authority to fire Ms. Yates but, as the top
Senate-confirmed official at the Justice Department, she is the only one
authorized to sign foreign surveillance warrants, an essential function
at the department.

“For as long as I am the acting attorney general, the Department of
Justice will not present arguments in defense of the executive order,
unless and until I become convinced that it is appropriate to do so,”
she wrote.