[Marxism] Textbook Recommendation - Scaling Techniques (Social Sciences)

Craig Butosi cbutosi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 15:04:29 MST 2017

Comrades,

I was wondering if anyone on the list might recommend a good textbook or
handbook on scaling techniques for social science research (I use this term
broadly). I am particularly looking for information on the development of
Likert scales, Thurstone scales, and Guttman scales, as well as the
statistical tools used in each.

Though I've found several promising titles and have a modest background in
quantitative methods, I'd like to know what you would recommend or have
found immensely useful. Some specific areas that I need to look into are
reliability testing, validity testing, and a general overview of the
process of creating these scales.

So far, I've found:

Spector, Paul E. - Summated Rating Scale Construction  An Introduction
(Sage)
Netemeyer, et al. - Scaling procedures: Issues and applications (Sage)
Various online resources like: socialresearchmethods.net (good primer but
lacking specificity)

Thanks all,

Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
Website: http://www.craigbutosi.ca