[Marxism] Fwd: Dwight D. Eisenhower - Cross of Iron Speech to the American Society of Newspaper Editors

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 7 13:16:59 MST 2017

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat
of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its
children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick
school in more than 30 cities.  It is two electric power plants, each
serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped
hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a
single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a
single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000
people.

full: http://americanrhetoric.com/speeches/dwighteisenhowercrossofiron.htm