[Marxism] Canada and aboriginal peoples

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 12 09:12:04 MDT 2017

Thanks Ken for this, but it's behind a paywall and difficult to access.
I managed anyway so I'll share it with all:

ABATHA SOUTHEY
Senator scores Canada a late-game medal in the Wingnut Olympics

Tabatha Southey

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Mar. 10, 2017 1:16PM EST

Last updated Friday, Mar. 10, 2017 3:20PM EST

This week, breaking with perceived wisdom on the way to finalizing her
bitter divorce from reality, Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak decided to
present an emotional defence of Canada’s residential-school system. It’s
difficult, times being what they are, for Canada to stand out in the
Wingnut Olympics currently in full swing, but Senator Beyak seems
determined to own the podium.

Down in America, Ben Carson kicked off this week’s event by describing
slaves as “immigrants” – just a bunch of crazy kids in the bottom of a
boat with a dream (seemingly of being used as whippable farming
equipment) as Ben would have it – high scores from all the judges. It
was not looking good for Canada – Kellie Leitch’s video submission
having been disqualified for presumed use of a malfunctioning robot
body-double, or possibly animal cruelty. There did seem to be a lot of
distracting cats in that room.

Word is Leitch is dropping her plan for a long-form values test and will
simply ask prospective newcomers, “Yes, but can you direct?”

Then, on Wednesday, up stepped Senator Beyak with a little number I’ll
call “Homage to the Real Victims of Residential Schools: The
Hypothetical Descendants of the People Who Taught at Those Schools,
Whose Feelings Might Be Hurt If They Stumbled Across a Copy of the Truth
and Reconciliation Commission’s Final Report and Read It.”

She did this, she said “mostly in memory of the kindly and
well-intentioned men and women and their descendants – perhaps some of
us here in this chamber – whose remarkable works, good deeds and
historical tales in the residential schools go unacknowledged.”

It’s true, A Child’s Garden of Beating, Starving and Raping Children in
the Indigenous Residential School System never did find a publisher. Nor
did The Secret Burial Garden.

All those “historical tales” lost. All those “remarkable works” so
uncharitably documented as crimes.

To hear Senator Beyak tell it, there were just a few bad apples working
in Canada’s residential-school system. We do know for a fact the
children, around 150,000 of them, mostly ripped from their homes and
sometimes literally from their parent’s arms, would likely have
appreciated getting their hands on a few bad apples, as some of them
were indisputably, and often deliberately, with the knowledge of the
government and – in the name of “science” – starved.

These kids often worked in the fields to produce food that never made it
to their plates but, enthused, Senator Beyak spoke in the Standing
Senate Committee on Aboriginal Peoples: “Nobody meant to hurt anybody,
the little smiles in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission are real,
the clothes are clean and the meals are good. There were many people who
came from residential schools with good training and good language
skills, and, of course, there were the atrocities as well.”

Just try putting that on the end of everything, “Yeah, we went camping,
saw a beautiful sunset, roaring fire, roasted marshmallows. Of course,
there were the atrocities as well.”

“Lovely dinner last weekend, walked through the city streets, wore my
new skirt. Of course, there were the atrocities as well.”

There is no context in which “of course, there were the atrocities as
well” sounds good.

I’m not sure what report Senator Beyak read (I’m going to keep calling
her “Senator” because I want that to sink in, this woman is charged with
providing our nation with sober second thought). She may have mistakenly
picked up a Madeline book and believed that from the years 1876 to 1996,
Canada operated a system whereby First Nation, Inuit and Métis children
were removed from their communities and sent to an old house in Paris
that was covered with vines where the nuns only spoke lyrically, in
rhyme.

The 2015 report that emerged from Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s
in-depth, thoroughly researched six-year study of the system is a
horrifying read. To take chuckles, fine-dining and fresh laundry away
from that document requires a truly superhuman level of myopia. I’d say
it was a Herculean task, except Hercules would take one look at the
Senator’s fact-bending mission and say “Whoa man. Wrestling a lion is
one thing, but even I can’t twist the truth that hard. That Senator from
Dryden, formally in the insurance and real estate businesses, she is a
mythic beast.”

Mental abuse, physical abuse and sexual abuse, were endemic to the
residential-school system. The “students” were often kept in substandard
conditions and 6,000 children died while in what is farcically called
“care,” largely because of malnourishment and disease. The schools had
graveyards, and many graves were unmarked. But let’s be clear about
this: Even had the schooling been adequate – hell, had these kids been
given top-notch education and wonderful care, had the Canadian
government sent thousands of Indigenous children to the equivalent of
Trinity College School – it would still have been the wrong thing to do.

It was wrong because it was forced or coerced and it was wrong because
the intention was never noble, despite Senator (arghhhh!) Beyak’s
massive history rewrite.

These children were kept from their families, their land and their
culture with the clear intention of ending that culture. They were
punished for speaking the only languages they’d ever known. They would
write letters home in a language their parents often couldn’t read. Some
kids made it home for two months a year, some went years without
returning to their communities. Some of the many who never made it home
at all died while desperately trying to get back where they belonged.

What percentage of these kidnapped kids – and Jim Miller, a professor of
history at the University of Saskatchewan and a committee witness that
day, did say “that there is a very small minority that had a good
experience” – would have to be sanguine about this arrangement for this
to be anything less than an atrocity?

Senator (thanks soooooo much, Stephen Harper) Beyak claims to know lots
of these blissed-out former residential-school graduates; indeed to have
“many friends” who have sent her “testimonials about many good
experiences.”

If this line of hers seems familiar, it may because only weeks ago,
speaking on Bill C-16, a bill that expands anti-discrimination and hate
crimes protections to transgender people, Senator (Jesus wept) Beyak
claimed that she was opposing the bill partly on behalf of her late
husband, Tony – founder of the Taxpayers Coalition of Fort Frances, who
would have been greatly distressed to see Canadians divided by special
interest groups.

Senator (Jesus banged His head slowly against His desk) Beyak does have
a point: Let people get away with identifying as gay or straight today
and the next thing you know they’ll be throwing up a website, putting up
a list of demands and then dancing through the streets proudly calling
themselves “Taxpayers of Fort Frances,” with their tax returns hanging
out there for all the world to see.

Won’t someone think of the children who hate math and/or Fort Frances?

“John, and my other gay friends who have lived in quiet dignity together
celebrating 50-year anniversaries without expecting or getting a single
thing from government, never had to face any kind of discrimination or
uncomfortable feelings,” before “the radical fringes of some
special-interest groups” gave sex “more attention than it deserves” and
we reached a point where gay people “expected all of Canada to be their
closet,” Senator (God is dead and we have killed Him) Beyak lamented.

She seems to be under the impression that now gay couples demand and get
a card and champagne from their MP for the golden anniversary, instead
of the basic human rights straight people have long enjoyed.

No one is asking for anything extra, Senator, although they might
deserve it because the notion that the “majority” of LGBT people, “by
living in quiet dignity,” stayed safe and happy as closeted clams is
absurd, ahistoric and willfully blind to all the beatings, job losses
and discrimination LGBT people faced and still face.

This woman has the weirdest collection of friends. They are a wealth of
anecdotal evidence in support of all the bees in her bonnet, and with
all the experts and research at her disposal, it is these unnamed
friends she’s citing helping to formulate Canada’s laws.

She’s a fan of the White Paper, a policy that proposed ending the
special legal relationship between the Canadian state and Indigenous
people and ripping up the Indian Act. And lo and behold, “the Native
people still talk to me about it,” she said of the very unpopular,
hugely problematic, rejected White Paper. “The ordinary folks on the
ground … who just want to go to the mall, get their nails done, get
their hair done” tell her the White Paper is the way to get to that
dream mall, she claimed.

“I was disappointed in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s report
in that it didn’t focus on the good,” she complained. “The people I talk
to are Christians.”

Well, life is full of disappointments, Senator (All Schools Matter)
Beyak.