[Marxism] Dutch elections: all about Geert Wilders (Trump clone)

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 13 18:09:20 MDT 2017

It has been repeatedly warned that the rise of the far right (following
Brexit and Trump) would be soon tested in 3 European general elections:
France, Germany, and the Netherlands. The first of those occurs on
Wednesday in the Netherlands, and since I'm about the only one on the
list who posts from Holland, I feel obligated to make a mention of
what's happening.

As in all these cases, the significant aspect of the election is the
rise of the far right (or "fascism," but I don't want to argue
terminology) here in the form of noted Islamophobe Geert Wilders (and
his nominal party the PVV). The concern is that the PVV has risen the
wave of anti-immigrant racism, and has recently been the leading party
in the polls with over 20% voter support (not enough to form a
government, fortunately). Below is a link to an article I ran across by
a leading Dutch newspaper they (unusually) supplied in English (I guess
expecting an international audience). It's basically factual and fair so
I recommend reading it if you're interested. And anyway, he's been on
his anti-Islam hate campaign for many years so there isn't much new
being written about him by the left, let alone in English.

One twist in the last few days involves the Dutch government's actions
to PHYSICALLY prevent campaigning around an upcoming referendum in
Turkey (which Turks in the Netherlands can vote in) by members of the
(ruling) AK party. They refused landing rights to an airplane and
stopped one in a car from reaching the Turkish embassy. About the same
thing happened in Germany, as you may have read. I thought it was an
outrageous denial of freedom of speech and assembly (unfortunately no
outcry from the left, I believe because there is no sympathy for the
AKP), and most Turkish felt the same, especially in Rotterdam, where
demonstrators were confronted by the police and arrested (also arrests
in Amsterdam). The Dutch PM Mark Rutte is widely seen to have been using
the crackdown on Turkish political activity in order to boost his
anti-Islam credentials in the eyes of the voters who might otherwise be
voting for Wilders for that reason. So there is a tight race based on
who would be more effectively anti-Islam and anti-immigrant :-(

I should also add (since this isn't covered in the following article)
that although he is similar to Trump in most ways, Geert Wilders'
fascism isn't so much inherited from the Nazi tradition (like much of
Trump's team) so anti-semitism isn't an issue (his hate concentrates on
Muslims and people of color). He is VERY pro-Israel, frequently citing
Israel's oppression of the Palestinians as a model for what should be
done in Europe. He frequently travels to Israel and is believed to be on
the payroll of the Mossad.

- Jeff

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/03/08/who-is-geert-wilders-the-dutch-populist-who-could-win-but-not-rule-a1549168