[Marxism] UN Syria Commission clears YPG/J and SDF of ethnic cleansing charges

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 15 16:52:53 MDT 2017

On 3/15/17 6:36 PM, Nick Fredman via Marxism wrote:
> The report, covering the miserable situation accross Syria generally,
> describes any displacement by YPG/J and SDF as due to military necessity,
> particularly the mass clearance of IS' indiscriminately laid land mines. It
> notes some abuses that are very minor in the context of Syria but
> explicitly rejects ethnic cleansing. By my reckoning these charges have now
> been rebutted by a Syria National Coalition team, the Syria Observatory for
> Human Rights and now the UN Commission for Syria. The UN report is
> available as the latest report
> http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/IICISyria/Pages/IndependentInternationalCommission.aspx

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/IICISyria/Pages/CarlaDelPonte.aspx

Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic

Carla Del Ponte (Switzerland)

Ms. Del Ponte is a Swiss and international Prosecutor and diplomat.
Within the United Nations System, she is a former Chief Prosecutor of
two United Nations international criminal tribunals.

---

Contrary to subsequent insinuations that she did not know what she was
talking about, Del Ponte had chosen her words carefully. She had said
that witness testimony made it appear that “some chemical weapons were
used, in particular nerve gas.” And it appeared to have been used by the
“opponents, by the rebels.” There is “no indication at all that the
Syria government … used chemical weapons.”

--Deepak Tripathi, Counterpunch May 13, 2013

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2013/08/31/carla-del-ponte-and-the-anti-imperialist-left-an-unprincipled-combination/