[Marxism] Fwd: A follow-up on the Enlightenment | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 22 12:09:26 MDT 2017

When I check the Wordpress dashboard of my blog each day, I am always
curious to see who has linked to the Unrepentant Marxist. A couple of
days ago, I discovered that Ross Wolfe had linked to my blog as part of
his response to the Jacobin article by Landon Frim and Harrison Fluss
that made an amalgam between anti-Semitism and anti-Enlightenment
philosophy, whose exponents ranged from William James to Martin
Heidegger in scattergun fashion. For Frim and Fluss (what evocative
Hobbit-like names), Marx was part of the “Enlightenment” tradition and
once philosophers such as Nietzsche began to criticize that tradition,
it opened a Pandora’s Box that led to fascism.

Much of Wolfe’s commentary is couched in the sort of language found in
the grad school milieu of the Platypus club that expelled him for some
reason a few years ago: “Even Ideologiekritik ought to be grounded in
something more solid than Foucauldean discourse analysis or Derridean
textual marginalia.” My mind tends to wander when I read this sort of thing.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2017/03/22/a-follow-up-on-the-enlightenment/