[Marxism] Fwd: What Caused the Holodomor?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Mar 24 11:25:19 MDT 2017

Three weeks ago, Grover Furr charged me with spreading fascist
propaganda on CounterPunch because my film review of “Bitter Harvest”
held Josef Stalin accountable for the famine in Ukraine in 1932-1933.
Like the Australian theology professor Roland Boer who blogs at
“Stalin’s Moustache”, Furr’s political life revolves around celebrating
Stalin’s greatest achievements—such as they were. I advise my readers,
especially younger ones, to visit “Stalin’s Moustache” and Furr’s
website to get a handle on a school of thought that has largely died a
natural death.

Instead of answering Furr’s attack, I will turn my attention to the
historiography of Mark Tauger who he describes in a prefatory note as
being a “world authority” on the famine. Since Tauger blames a severe
drought for the deaths of between 2.5 to 7 million Ukrainians, it is
understandable why he would be hoisted on the shoulders of both Grover
Furr and Roger Annis, a Canadian leftist and occasional CounterPunch
contributor who endorsed Tauger on his “New Cold War: Ukraine and
Beyond” website as “One of the world’s leading scholars on the
development of agriculture in the Soviet Union”. So, you get the
picture. If you are in the business of representing Ukraine as a victim
of Stalinist or Putinist colonial brutality, Tauger is essential for
turning that victim into a criminal.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/03/24/what-caused-the-holodomor/