[Marxism] Fwd: The Dark State

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 29 09:20:56 MDT 2017

The Dark State

Drug trafficking is significantly profitable. Recent estimates place the
drug industry at around 4,000 billion dollars in turnover [1].
Considering a profit margin of only 25% [2], it means that the drug
industry is generating profits of 1,000 billion dollars every year. To
put it simply, let’s assume that the global organized crime as a whole
generates annual profits of 1,000 billion dollars from illegal
activities (drugs, prostitution, traffic of persons, organs,
cyberthefts, etc). Summing up these profits year by year, decade by
decade, we come to astronomic amounts of tens, maybe even hundreds of
thousands of billions of dollars. Let’s assume that the cumulated
profits over the past 30 years sum up to 30,000 (30×1,000) billion
dollars [3]. In order to understand the magnitude of these amounts, we
can compare them with the capitalization of all the world’s listed
companies, which amounts to around 50,000 billion dollars [4].

full: http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=13226