[Marxism] Fwd: Reconsidering the Rhetoric of Resistance

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 30 08:21:54 MDT 2017

Amidst the near-ceaseless upheaval that has characterized the first two
months of the Trump administration, the term “resistance” has acquired
seemingly unprecedented currency within the American political lexicon.
The rhetoric of resistance has migrated far and wide from its more
traditional, humble sphere of grassroots organizing against war and
capitalist mayhem, infiltrating even the conservative editorials printed
in such powerful opinion-making organs as The New York Times. A strange,
ironic conjuncture has seen the unsexy power of the powerless
refashioned into resistance chic. This rapid, unforeseen mutation in the
class character of “resistance” leaves little doubt that some bullshit
is afoot. We would thus be remiss not to ask: how exactly did we get here?

full: http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=13232