[Marxism] Fwd: Pop Cinema: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Mar 31 05:48:26 MDT 2017

Each year I review over 100 films with most of them being the kind that
show up in art houses: leftist documentaries, foreign-language films,
American indies and the like. In November, I start catching up with the
films that major Hollywood studios are pushing for NYFCO awards such as
“Moonlight”, “Brooklyn”, “Spotlight” and other high-minded products that
are geared to college-educated, NY Times reading, PBS subscribers. It is
what you might call the Merchant-Ivory trade.

But what I really love and rarely write about are the horror and action
films that dominate the multiplexes, mainly because they are so crappy.
For example, I can’t get enough of “Alien” type films where a plucky
band of space travelers must fend off some deadly creature that is
killing them off one by one. One such film titled “Life” opened this
week and could only muster a 66 percent fresh ratings on Rotten
Tomatoes. Generally, anything under 98 percent is usually enough to make
me walk out on looking like the subject of Edvard Munch’s “The Scream”,
so there was no point in spending $12 on a geezer ticket for a movie
that the generally reliable Slant Magazine characterized: “If you ever
find yourself in outer space and the only person talking any sense is
Ryan Reynolds, locate the nearest escape hatch.”

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/03/31/pop-cinema-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/