[Marxism] Fwd: This Tax System is Killing Us

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 3 12:44:49 MDT 2017

These days, everywhere we look we see signs that the budgeting and
taxation system, as well as the tax reforms in the works, are intended
to increase social destitution and shorten our lifespan by as much as
possible.

As an example, the U.S. Congress intends to make it more difficult for
people to save for a half-decent retirement. On April 21, The Wall
Street Journal reported that Congress plans to revoke selected tax
benefits attached to some retirement accounts. This miserly sneak attack
on people’s ability to save for retirement is one example of many cuts
in benefits in the Trump/GOP budget to make room, as announced on April
26, for the huge tax breaks for the corporations and the top income earners.

The cuts in benefits obviously fall almost entirely on the poor and the
working and middle classes, as well as government agencies or programs
that advance the collective well being of the American people. As
reported widely, the current U.S. Congress and the White House plan to
cut 31% of the funds for EPA just as the administration has relaxed
emissions standards for power plants and reduced fuel efficiency
standards for cars; the budget would also cut EPA programs that deal
with climate change and pollution, and as reported by Bloomberg, “The
Trump administration is proposing to slash funding for grants to prevent
lead poisoning, climate change research and criminal enforcement against
polluters as part of its plan to reduce funding.”

full: http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=13458