[Marxism] re Cuba and immuno therapy

michael a. lebowitz mlebowit at sfu.ca
Sun May 7 13:13:31 MDT 2017

Louis posted a note from a friend as follows:

"The plan to address my lung cancer in NYC by radiation through Sloan
Kettering did not work out. The good news is that I have since qualified
for a clinical trial at Roswell Park treating this condition with a
combination of immuno-therapy, Opdivo, and the Cuban vaccine, Cimavax.
This is the only place in this country with permission to test Cimavax,
which has had impressive results. I just returned from Buffalo where I
will soon start in Phase 1 of this trial, a very hopeful situation. The
alternative was to go to Cuba. Easier to take the train to Buffalo.
Anyone interested in learning more about this study, and the Cuban
vaccine, check the link below. https://www.roswellpark.org/cancer-vaccine

It is, of course, good news that Louis' friend was successful in getting
into the clinical trials (and that they are finally permitted in the US
given the enormous success of the treatments developed in Cuba);
however, it is in the nature of clinical trials that they are generally
blind and admission into the trial is no guarantee that an individual
will be getting the specific treatment desired. It is certainly easier
and far less costly to take the train to Buffalo than to go to Havana
for the lung cancer treatment they offer. My vague recollection of the
latter is that the cost of the CIMAVAX treatment is over $5000 at Las
Praderas, the hospital/hotel where this is administered and involves
about 4 days residence and patients are given a supply of the vaccine to
take home with them. The information is available on the web, where you
may also run across a CBC article about someone from the US who makes an
annual trip [via Toronto then] to get the meds and said it has kept him
alive.
     Rather than just posting this to Louis, I thought others on the
list might find this useful for themselves, etc.
         best wishes,
             michael

--
Michael A. Lebowitz