[Marxism] Fwd: Comeytose in Washington

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at gmail.com
Fri May 12 19:14:29 MDT 2017

I don't know that Comey was quite as important a figure in the
resistance to Trump's changes to U.S. policy as Carl describes ... I
tend to think not. But that was a part of it.

But mainly Trump fired him, I think, for exactly the reasons Trump said,
showboating, grandstanding, and for being a loose cannon.

Of course those things precisely made Comey useful to opponents of
Trump's policies, but this firing wasn't driven by some desperate need
to thwart the investigation or the political opposition. On the
investigation, I don't believe there was anything concrete to be
thwarted, nothing to be covered up in relation to the elections.

That's different from Nixon. Behind the Saturday night massacre there
were very specific, concrete things he was trying to hide.

No one has yet to articulate just *what*  is being investigated.
Collusion between team Trump and team Putin. But collusion to do what?
Stuff ballot boxes? Rig voting machines? Use RT's massive influence over
Americans to get them to vote for Trump?

I don't think this is about a cover-up. Instead, and above all, Trump
wants people in top government positions loyal to him, investigation or
no investigation, it doesn't matter.  He is clearly a bonapartist
figure, and he simply has to have it.

He made it explicit as hell in his "fuck you" letter to Comey. He said,
I know you promised not to cross me by repeatedly saying I wasn't under
investigation [basically, telling Comey that he, Trump, understood that
thereby Comey had compromised himself and made himself vulnerable to
Trump], but that's not good enough. Today Trump tripled underlined the
message with his tweet about tapes.

The *WAY* Comey was fired was a very important part of the message. It
was vindictive and as humiliating as could be to Comey. I joked on the
radio show I do (www.radioinformacion.org) that Comey got to find out
via CNN while giving a talk to FBI agents because Francis Ford Coppola
wasn't available to direct the putting of the head of a decapitated
horse in Comey's bed. And he got really lucky that they didn't have a
fish handy to wrap in a bullet-proof vest.

That said, I think Mark is way off. On the overall political framework
Carl is right, I believe. Trump came in projecting a significant shift
in U.S. foreign policy. Whether the until-now dominant wing of the
"national security state" or "political class" or "military industrial
complex" or however you want to conceive of it has completely derailed
or even convinced Trump to reverse course is another matter.

An additional factor in it all is that the Democrat nomenklatura needs
the Russian plot and Comey sabotage to explain away Clinton's loss to Trump.

And --this is important-- she did lose. Factoring out California,
Clinton lost in the rest of the country by a million votes. Take out New
York also and her 48-state deficit was three million votes. Sure, if
Comey hadn't back-stabbed her she would have squeaked through. But she
should have won by a landslide.

But that aside, it has been obvious to me from the outset that
Russiagate is largely a dispute about the direction of U.S. foreign
policy. Trump came in wanting a sharper, more demanding stance towards
"our" traditional allies because they are in fact "our" main
competitors. And all the stuff a bout collusion and so on is just total
bullshit. I've written a series of blog posts going over this so I won't
repeat all the arguments here:

The Russian White House Coup ... and what Karl Marx has to do with it
http://hatueysashes.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-russian-white-house-coup-and-what.html

The Russian election hack: bullshit
http://hatueysashes.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-russian-election-hack-bullshit.html

Behind the Russia hysteria: a major dispute over foreign policy
http://hatueysashes.blogspot.com/2017/03/behind-russia-hysteria-major-dispute.html

'No evidence' means that we didn't mean to wiretap Trump's people ...
http://hatueysashes.blogspot.com/2017/03/no-evidence-means-that-we-didnt-mean-to.html

The NY Times channels Joe McCarthy
http://hatueysashes.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-ny-times-channels-joe-mccarthy.html

Joaquín