[Marxism] Fwd: Julian Assange and the Banality of Access | Jacob Silverman

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat May 13 08:42:45 MDT 2017

“LET’S NOT PRETEND FOR A MOMENT I’M A NORMAL PERSON,” Julian Assange
says in Risk, in what is either a rare moment of unvarnished honesty or
an attempt to impress Lady Gaga. Few people would try to out-weird Gaga
to her face, but as we learn in Laura Poitras’s latest documentary,
Assange is one to try. It’s October 2012, and the publisher of WikiLeaks
has already been hunkered down in the Ecuadorian embassy in London for
months, making the “Born This Way” chanteuse a welcome celebrity
visitor. He is fresh off the release of yet another classified document
dump on his activist website; she is fresh off the release of a new
perfume line at Harrods down the street. Their conversation, as captured
by Poitras’s team, digs deep, very deep. “What’s your favorite food?”
she asks him.

Assange opens his mouth, and a roving, almost nonsensical monologue
comes out, followed by the comment that he’s not a “normal person,”
which seems a hubristic thing to say to a woman who has lately accepted
a music video award wearing a dress made out of raw beef, complete with
a flank-steak handbag.

full:
https://thebaffler.com/the-future-sucked/julian-assange-banality-of-access