[Marxism] Fwd: Documenting Discontent: Talking With Jamsheed Akrami About Iranian Cinema

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 19 09:07:25 MDT 2017

Three years ago Jeff St. Clair affixed the title “Is Abbas Kiarostami
the World’s Most Talented Film-maker?” to my review of the Iranian
director’s 1999 masterpiece “The Wind Will Carry Us”. I, of course,
would not only answer yes to his rhetorical question but would go one
step further and argue that Iranian filmmakers collectively have been
making the greatest films for the past 30 years at least. They are the
equivalent of the French nouvelle vague of the 1950s and early 60s but
paradoxically produce great films under the heavy constraints of a
clerical state that not only puts obstacles in their path but drives
some of the elite figures into exile or in the case of Jafar Panahi kept
under house arrest.

Recently I was fortunate enough to view four documentaries about Iranian
film by Jamsheed Akrami, a Professor in the Communications Department of
William Paterson University in New Jersey, that were made between 2000
and 2013 and are now available from Arab Film Distribution, which
markets DVDs to institutional customers such as university libraries and
film departments.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/05/19/documenting-discontent-talking-with-jamsheed-akrami-about-iranian-cinema/