[Marxism] Fwd: The Hoax That Failed, or Skeptics Who Aren’t Very Skeptical | ACADEME BLOG

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 21 18:50:44 MDT 2017

My twitter feed was humming this morning with reaction to an article
published in Skeptic Magazine, by Peter Boghossian and James Lindsay.
They managed to submit a hoax article — “The Conceptual Penis as a
Social Construct” — to a journal they purported to be about gender
studies and quickly celebrated this achievement as proof that the entire
field of gender studies “is crippled academically by an overriding
almost-religious belief that maleness is the root of all evil.”

“We assumed that if we were merely clear in our moral implications that
maleness is intrinsically bad,” the authors wrote, “and that the penis
is somehow at the root of it, we could get the paper published in a
respectable journal.”

Pretty soon quite a few allegedly skeptical and suitably famous
scientist types — including Richard Dawkins and Stephen Pinker — jumped
on the celebratory bandwagon, noting parallels with the famous Sokal
hoax of the 1990s.

full:
https://academeblog.org/2017/05/20/the-hoax-that-failed-or-skeptics-who-arent-very-skeptical/