[Marxism] Fwd: Syrians roll back extremism in Idlib without military intervention

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 24 15:38:32 MDT 2017

hose organizing civil activities faced many challenges, including regime
airstrikes on the city, continuous fighting between armed factions and
regime forces, and pressure from Islamists who tried to disrupt and
discredit their efforts. “Despite all of the hardships, we continued
with our regular meetings, demonstrations, sit-ins and media campaigns
until we got what we wanted,” Zidani said.

Three month after its establishment, the local council is managing most
services, including water, electricity, bakeries, civil defense,
firefighting, and the directorates of transportation, communications,
agriculture and environment. With their vibrant activities, women’s
organizations are participating in the council’s activities, voicing
their concerns and suggesting solutions.

The tale of civil resistance in Idlib has not ended. “Our next goal is
to pressure armed factions to abandon the courts and security services
and hand them over to civil entities, along with the rest of the
directorates, including the civil and private land registries,” Rahabi
said. “We are working on uniting all local groups and organizations
under one body to make our voice even stronger.”

full:
https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/syrians-roll-back-extremism-idlib/