[Marxism] Beyond Neoliberal Identity Politics

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:25:48 MDT 2017

Jeff

I wrote an article for Monthly Review long years ago on Political
Correctness.  In all (im)modesty it remains the best thing I have read on
the subject.

The point I made was that in all societies there is always restraints on
language use i.e. political correctness. Of course the restrictions desired
by the marginal are marked or labelled, while the restrictions desired by
the powerful are unmarked and labeled normal. they do not even have a name.

Exactly the same with identity politics.  We are all thrown into an
identity when we are born. The question is do we reproduce it or transform
it.  transformation requires a movement and that disturbs dominant
identities - think 2, 4,. 6. 8; Gay is just as good as Straight.

Now the question of a neoliberal identity is an interesting one.
Foucault's lectures at La College de France (much quoted by Richard
Seymour) contain the outline of a neoliberal identity.  That is the classic
identity of the possessive individual that MacPherson wrote about.  So that
is the neoliberal identity proper.  neoliberalism seeks to create the
neoliberal subject or identity.

I would distinguish that process from those compensatory identities that
neoliberals offer.  Marriage equality, abstract rights etc  Under the reign
of scarcity, which is the principal motif of neoliberalism, compensatory
identities cause misrecognition and envy.  They divide us and of course
that is all to the benefit of the powerful.

For me the ideal program would not be to deny the reality of identity
politics, but firstly to attack the neoliberal identity and transform the
compensatory identities by eliminating scarcity.

comradely

Gary