[Marxism] Fwd: [New post] Mexico Gets 1st Female Indigenous Presidential Candidate

Richard Sprout sproutr at upstate.edu
Tue May 30 08:11:58 MDT 2017

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

<comment+7gxewgiil71pgevl1qa3yz_ at comment.wordpress.com>
> Subject: [New post] Mexico Gets 1st Female Indigenous Presidential
Candidate

> Respond to this post by replying above this line
> New post on Mexico Institute
>

> Mexico Gets 1st Female Indigenous Presidential Candidate
> by mexicoinstitute
> 5/28/2017 New York Times
>

> Victor Camacho/La Jornada
>
> MEXICO CITY — A council of Mexican indigenous groups backed by the
Zapatista rebels on Sunday selected a Nahua woman as the country's first
indigenous female presidential candidate.

> The Indigenous Governance Council picked Maria de Jesus Patricio to
run in the 2018 election, issuing a statement saying that "we will seek
to put her name on the ballot." Because the council is not a registered
political party, it may need signatures to get Patricio on the ballot.

> The council called for an "anti-capitalist and honest" government. "We
don't seek to administer power; we seek to dismantle it," it said.

Elections, Government, Mexican Culture | URL: http://wp.me/pmP6f-fqR

https://mexicoinstitute.wordpress.com/2017/05/30/mexico-gets-1st-female-indigenous-presidential-candidate/