[Marxism] Beyond Neoliberal Identity Politics

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Wed May 31 13:05:07 MDT 2017

In my original post criticizing the author, I laid out how his attack on
so-called "neoliberal identity politics" was tantamount to the long
chorus of complaints against "political correctness," almost always by
the right wing (which this author is not). I thought I had made a
correct and significant identification between the two, and had to write
about it.

Now a friend has pointed me to an earlier article (below) by the same
author, Paul Street, in which he himself conflates the two terms, making
my point for me. That was written a year ago in Counterpunch where he
references not "neoliberal" but "bourgeois identity politics," and
speaks of "liberal, power-serving and identity-politicized PC
academicians over at the university," language you'd expect to hear from
David Horowitz.

Lest anyone chalk this up to just language and name-calling, he goes on
to cite several examples where he justifies his defiance of "political
correctness." How one's PC-driven reluctance to speak up when seeing a
suspicious middle-eastern man with a backpack could lead to them getting
blown up. About anti-immigration sentiment reflecting valid working
class economic interests such as falling wages. How he personally has
"become at least mildly irritated" at Chinese students at his
university, mind you only because they are rich ("But it has nothing to
with them being Chinese.").

His conclusion is that by embracing "political correctness" the left is
alienating the holy white working class so that their (alleged) bigotry
leads them to support Donald Trump (at that time a candidate) and other
right wing causes. He thinks the left needs to become, or at least
pretend to be, equally bigoted, in order achieve victory and right the
wrongs that lead oppressed groups toward identity politics. I guess
we've heard all this before. But now I am becoming hyper-sensitive to
any attack on "Identity politics" from within the left, reflecting this
regressive point of view.

- Jeff

July 22, 2016
Political Correctness: Handle with Care