[Marxism] Fwd: On Academic Precarity — Ali Colleen Neff, PhD

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 12 12:10:05 MST 2017

Academic precarity is the year-to-year or class-to-class, contingent,
underpaid and labor-intensive employment status most Ph.D.s now have to
navigate while seeking a protected tenure-track position. After, say,
eight years of graduate school, this tacks on another two to four to ten
years at a $20-$40,000/year salary. We have crossed over into our
thirties and forties in sustained poverty, now separated from our
graduate communities and parceled into departments and towns in which we
have no belonging or protection. All the while, we must stay on the
academic job market, an extremely demanding labor that costs up to 800
unpaid hours a year and expensive attendance at conferences and
interviews. These jobs are unprotected, shorter-term, and often require
moving to far-flung college towns from year to year. The precariat is
charged with developing entire new courses on short notice (I developed
two dozen brand new courses in four years, most of which I would only
teach once), teaching large classes of students whom they'll never see
again, and biting their nails in hopes this will be the year they are
going to get chosen.

full: http://www.alicolleenneff.com/blog/2017/11/8/on-academic-precarity