[Marxism] Fwd: Adam Shatz · The President and the Bomb · LRB 16 November 2017

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 16 08:30:06 MST 2017

Of course the threat of nuclear war never vanished. All that went away
was the bipolar conflict with the Soviet Union, the theatre in which we
feared the war would erupt. As E.P. Thompson wrote, ‘it has never been
true that nuclear war is “unthinkable”. It has been thought and the
thought has been put into effect.’ The Western model of capitalism may
have won – or survived – the Cold War, but so did the bomb. In fact, the
bomb proliferated, and new nuclear powers emerged, driven by conflicts
scarcely related to superpower confrontation. Thanks to the collapse of
communism, we are no longer sure that ‘the golden age is within us,’ as
Lévi-Strauss said, but there’s no doubt that the apocalypse is. And the
fear of nuclear war is heightened by the raw, primordial tenor of our
politics, above all in the United States. What Pankaj Mishra has called
an ‘age of anger’ is also an age of disinhibition, at least on the
political right, and it is embodied by the US president, who has set in
train a loosening of moral restraints in every sphere.

full: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n22/adam-shatz/the-president-and-the-bomb