[Marxism] Fwd: The Mighty Atom | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 17 07:49:14 MST 2017

When I was about ten years old, my mother took me to see the Mighty
Atom’s legendary strong man act at the Panoramic Health Farm, a bungalow
colony he owned in Woodridge, New York—my home town that was described
by the leftist PM newspaper as a utopia in the Catskills in 1947.

I watched in awe as the 62-year old, 5’4”, 145-pound bearded man with
shoulder-length hair perform the stunts that he had been part of his
repertory since the 1920s such as bending nails with his teeth and an
iron bar across his nose. In his prime, he could pull a fire engine with
his hair or twist horseshoes into a pretzel. In fact, until his death at
the age of 84 in 1977, he continued to perform. The new documentary “The
Mighty Atom” that became available as VOD (iTunes, Amazon and Google
Play) on November 14th points out that on the day he died, he walked
from room to room in the hospital performing for fellow patients to lift
their spirits. After his last tour through the wards, he laid down on
his bed and passed on.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2017/11/17/the-mighty-atom-2/