[Marxism] Fwd: The Witchfinders | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 24 10:39:37 MST 2017

Jonathan Cook wrote an article for CounterPunch on Wednesday that
connected Israel’s bombing of a non-existent nuclear plant in Syria 10
years ago to the sarin gas incident in Khan Sheikhoun this year. By
casting aspersions on the journalists and scholars who tried to clear
Bashar al-Assad of having anything to do with Khan Sheikhoun, George
Monbiot’s article exposed him in Cook’s eyes as “The left’s Witchfinder
General” and just as culpable of promoting “regime change” as the lying
neocons of yore.

Cook was reacting to Monbiot and “many others” that challenge the
versions put forward by Seymour Hersh, Gareth Porter, and Theodor
Postol. The first two blame the civilian deaths on the accidental
bombing of fertilizer and/or pesticides that generated a toxic cloud
with sarin gas-like symptoms, while Postol implicitly blames jihadists
for mounting a false flag incident by setting off a sarin gas bomb when
nobody was watching. Since Monbiot’s article credited me as a blogger
who “patiently explored and demolished” Postol’s theories (his account
went through several iterations), I have vested interest in this
discussion as a fellow Witchfinder General (or at least a Corporal).

full: https://louisproyect.org/2017/11/24/the-witchfinders/