[Marxism] Fwd: Elitists, crybabies and junky degrees: A debate over higher education funding | The Washington Post

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 27 06:04:39 MST 2017

‘Go out and generate revenue’

Antenori [Arizona elected official] was born in Scranton, Pa., and
dreamed of playing football at Pennsylvania State University. But he
started partying and his grades slipped in his senior year of high
school. His father balked at paying for college.

“I’m not paying for C’s,” Antenori recalled his father saying. “You want
to go? You pay for it.”

So at 17, he joined the Army, which promised him $20,000 toward college
if he enlisted for three years. He stayed on, joined the Green Berets
and became a medic. He didn’t get around to college until he was 32.

Still on active duty, he enrolled in a pre-med program at Campbell
University in North Carolina, a Baptist school a few miles from Fort
Bragg. He earned a bachelor’s degree taking classes four nights a week
and on weekends.

After he retired from the Army in 2004, he moved to Tucson, where he
works as a program manager for a major defense contractor. Earlier this
year he completed an online MBA through Grand Canyon University, a
for-profit Christian school in Phoenix.

“I got functional degrees that helped me move up in the corporate
world,” he said, crunching through the parched grass on his 40-acre
ranch in the southeastern Arizona desert. Compact and muscular, wearing
a red T-shirt and dusty work boots, he speaks with jackhammer bluntness.

Antenori said many young people would be better off attending more
affordable two-year community colleges that teach useful skills and turn
out firefighters, electricians and others. Obama promoted that same
idea, launching new efforts to boost community college and workplace
training. But Antenori said he believes Obama pushed young people too
hard toward four-year degrees.

full:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2017/11/25/elitists-crybabies-and-junky-degrees/