[Marxism] Fwd: Calls needed: Honduran dictatorship trying to steal Presidential election

Greg McDonald gregmc59 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 13:26:37 MST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: CISPES National Office <cispes at cispes.org>
Date: Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 2:51 PM
Subject: Calls needed: Honduran dictatorship trying to steal Presidential
election
To: <gregmc59 at gmail.com>

[image: CISPES Logo] <#m_-832579809786841598_> [image: Red stripe right of
logo]

Take Action: Dictator in Honduras attempts to steal  Presidential election

Call the US Embassy in Honduras: 011-504-2238-5114

Call your Congressional Representatives and Senators:
(202) 224-3121

Dear Greg,

We received an urgent call from for solidarity regarding Sunday's
presidential election in Honduras.

Popular forces are mobilizing in the capital right now to defend the
results of the election, in which Salvador Nasralla, backed by a diverse
coalition called Alliance to End the Dictatorship, ousted current President
Juan Orlando Hernandez of the National Party. *For more background, check
out this article*
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=80y9x5ps3G9A8nRrOs9ZaU1y3IgX2Kzo>
.

United in struggle,

-CISPES

*Message from International Election Observers*

We, an international delegation sponsored by La Voz de los de Abajo,
CODEPINK, and the Honduras Solidarity Network, urge you to contact the US
Embassy in Tegucigalpa as well as your Congressional representatives to *demand
that the US stop all support* (political and economic) for Juan Orlando
Hernandez as he attempts to steal an election to extend his dictatorship.

We urge you to support the Honduran people in their effort to *stand up to
Juan Orlando Hernandez's voter fraud, intimidation, and dictatorship* by
contacting the US Embassy and your elected officials with the demand that
all support end now.

US Embassy Tegucigalpa: 011-504-2238-5114 or 011-504-2236-9320

US Capital Switchboard (to contact your Senators and Representatives):
(202) 224-3121

Feel free to use the following observations from our delegation, which is
currently in Honduras, as talking points:

   - Since the days leading up to the election to now, Honduras has been in
   a constantly escalating *state of militarization and intimidation*
   intended to strike fear into those willing to vote against Juan Orlando
   Hernandez and the National Party.
   - Two members of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE), Marco Lobo and
   Eric Mejia, have shared statements that Salvador Nasralla's *lead in the
   vote is irreversible*.

Despite this, there has been an unprecedented delay in the official
announcement of the winner of the election.

   - As the delay persists, there are widespread reports on social
media of *voter
   fraud *to benefit Juan Orlando Hernandez and the National Party. This
   includes a video of piles of blank ballots being stamped en masse for Juan
   Orlando Hernandez
   - Incidences of scattered violence are occurring around the country as
   National Party forces try to gain control of ballot boxes
(including *stabbings,
   shootings, kidnappings, and other forms of threats and intimidation*)
   - According to social media reports, Une TV's broadcast building (which
   has recognized Salvador Nasralla as the President Elect of Honduras) has
   been circled by either military or police.

These are all signs of a dictatorship and are not reflective of fair,
democratic elections.

In all of the meetings we have had with social movement leaders since the
Supreme Electoral Tribunal's announcement of Nasralla's lead (and apparent
victory), they all said that Juan Orlando Hernandez is likely very
surprised by this result and warned that he does not want to give up power
and will do anything he can do to stay in power.

The *m**ilitarization and weapons of war that our delegation observed* on
Election Day give weight to the alarms being sounded. Furthermore, right
now, organizations and people from across Honduras are mobilizing to go to
Tegucigalpa to recognize and defend Salvador Nasralla and the Alliance to
End the Dictatorship as the rightful winner of the election.

*Make a call today! ¡El pueblo hondureño resiste!*

Email Us
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2Nxp8PmS19Z3ojPDvPXHnE1y3IgX2Kzo>
CISPES National Office
1525 Newton St. NW