[Marxism] Fwd: Latest on Redline blog

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 04:11:30 MDT 2017

Another busy week at the blog.

Check out:

The real scandal around Winston Peters' superannuation is that some people
want to undermine the universal nature of pensions and have the pension
means-tested: *https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/winston-peters-super-the-real-scandal/
<https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/winston-peters-super-the-real-scandal/>*

Immigration is a key political issue because it shows whether people stand
for pulling up the drawbridge on a cosy little privileged NZ or show
solidarity with the workers of the world and the right to free movement:
*https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/election-time-is-open-season-on-immigration/
<https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/election-time-is-open-season-on-immigration/>*

And, for background reading, see, The Case for Open Borders:
*https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/the-case-for-open-borders/
<https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/the-case-for-open-borders/>*

Ultra-rightist groups in the USA have been emboldened by the Trump
presidency.  Among those taing them on have been San Francisco
wharfies: *https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/san-francisco-wharfies-strike-action-against-far-right/
<https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/san-francisco-wharfies-strike-action-against-far-right/>*

A legacy of defeats and the impact of living in a member of the imperialist
club have had a debilitating effect on workers' consciousness and
preparedness to struggle in New Zealand:
*https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/whats-up-with-the-working-class-in-new-zealand/
<https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/whats-up-with-the-working-class-in-new-zealand/>*

Global action against extra-judicial killings in the Philippines:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/global-action-against
-philippines-extrajudicial-killings/

A group of artists are continuing the conversation Metiria Turei MP started
– demanding a more compassionate social welfare system. They asked artists
who have been on a benefit in NZ (DPB, sickness, invalids, jobseeker,
whatever) to draw a picture of themselves, and write a couple of sentences
next to it about their experiences.  See: https://rdln.wordpress.co
m/2017/08/24/we-are-beneficiariesthe-worst-thing-was-seeing-
my-mum-single-broke-crying-in-a-winz-office/
(Scroll down from there to see the others)

Phil
for the Redline blog collective