[Marxism] Imperialism: a critique of David Harvey

mkaradjis . mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 23:26:15 MDT 2017

"Chinese corporations are investing in mines in Africa and Latin
America, ports in Australia, Greece and Sri Lanka, etc."

It is fascinating to think the degree to which Chinese imperialism
plays such a dominant role in Greece through control of its main port,
yet if we were forced to think through old, established dogmatic
categories, we would have to insist that Greece was an imperialist
country and China was a semi-colonial (or "oppressed") country.

It is a good example of how refusing to see Russia and China as
imperialist powers seems to me to be a refusal to simply look today's
reality in the face.

It is true, as Chris says, that it is complicated, "because China is
still a source of cheap labor for US, European and Japanese
corporations." That was also true of Tsarist Russia, whose vast
countryside was immensely more backward than is today's Chinese
countryside, yet Lenin, correctly, saw it as an imperialist country. I
believe that is called "the law of uneven and combined development."