[Marxism] [UCE] The Financial Times on big data in China

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:10:51 MDT 2017

Some of the issues raised by Jim have been hashed out periodically on this
list, most recently in the context of the heightened competition between
Amazon/Walmart/Whole Foods et al. I won't rehash that, except to say that
Jim's point about Walmart using computer systems actually shows the
efficiency of moving calculation inside the corporation (while moving work
outside; I think Louis linked an article on that a couple days ago re
inequality and contract work).

So here's a new example: When a retail corporation's entire chain of stores
moves overnight to introduce massive fashion lines - in this case
gender-neutral clothes - one cannot plausibly claim it as a victory for the
market.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/world/europe/uk-britain-gender-children-john-lewis.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0