[Marxism] Fwd: Red Trees | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 16 12:04:27 MDT 2017

When I received an invitation from a publicist to review “Red Trees”
that opened yesterday at Lincoln Plaza and Quad Cinema in NYC, I was
initially undecided since the documentary was about surviving the
holocaust. Having seen dozens of films, both fiction and nonfiction,
about this crime against humanity starting with Alain Resnais’s 1956
documentary “Night and Fog” that I saw as a college freshman in 1961, I
was not sure what more could be said. I finally decided to review the
film since it was produced by Charles S. Cohen who owns the Cohen Media
Group and Quad Cinema. Over the years I have developed a deep respect
for Cohen Media Group films and those shown at Quad Cinema. Suffice it
to say that “Red Trees” meets the lofty standards set by Mr. Cohen, who
decided to produce the film after seeing a shorter version.

Although the images summoned up the word holocaust are black-and-white
photos and historical footage of skeletal victims at Auschwitz, “Red
Trees” is instead a lyrically evocative picture of the world of the
Czechs both past and present as director Marina Willer and her father
Alfred visit the places where he grew up. Even when he recalls
terrifying moments, his daughter never forgets that the overarching
purpose of the film is to convey the joys of civilized life in places
like Kaznêjov and Prague where the Willer family prospered economically
and culturally until the Nazis began their brutal occupation in 1939.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2017/09/16/red-trees/