[Marxism] Fwd: What We Sow is What We Eat

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Sep 19 06:17:44 MDT 2017

Seeing and tasting these gifts of nature can’t help but make you think
of the foods most of us eat.  Heavily processed and full of salt,
hydrogenated oil, and high fructose corn syrup; loaded with chemicals;
laden with pesticides; grown on factory farms; treated like any other
mass-produced products, aimed for the market with costs per unit low and
profits high. Our crops are planted and harvested in this country by a
largely black and brown workforce, poorly paid and forced to live in
shacks and tents. They are poisoned, along with their children, every
day they labor, and their life expectancy, in the United States, is
barely fifty years. What it was when Edward R. Murrow’s documentary,
Harvest of Shame, was shown on television in 1960. Much the same can be
said about farm laborers anywhere in the world.

full: https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/09/19/what-we-sow-is-what-we-eat/