[Marxism] The Trump-Putin coalition for Assad lays waste to Syria: Imperial agreement and carve-up behind the noisy rhetoric

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 00:21:51 MDT 2017

Michael says:

"But more broadly, what is behind the ongoing “war of rhetoric” between
the US and Iran that has never led to an actual war is a good question
for research. I suggest Obama understood the real long-term interests
of US imperialism much better with his policy of engagement of a major
regional capitalist power, with a large population/market, a
relatively developed economy, plenty of oil and plenty of potential as
a regional killer-cop."

But it is not JUST a war of rhetoric.  The US kept sanctions on Iran even after the UN lifted its sanctions.

There are exemptions which have allowed some deals.  But why have sanctions at all if Iran is such a great ally?

I think it has something to do with Iran's support of Hezbollah against Israel.

Chris Slee