[Marxism] [UCE] Re: Fwd: The Ken Burns Vietnam War Documentary Glosses Over Devastating Civilian Toll

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Fri Sep 29 00:30:53 MDT 2017

Louis Proyect wrote

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/the-ken-burns-vietnam-war-documentary-glosses-over-devastating-civilian-toll/

The same happened in North Korea, conceivably far worse. North Korea is
now being threatened again with unimaginably greater destruction.  And
North Korea's history during the bombing and invasion is a story that
achingly needs telling to a totally callous world in a time of growing
tension over their development of nuclear weapons, in the way that Nick
Turse briefly lays out in this article about Vietnam.

In 1975 I was in Tanzania. This was the headquarters for a number of the
continent's liberation struggles. That atmosphere was contagious. I had
read IF Stone's book on Korea, I had read about "juche," or self
reliance, the name for the regime's official ideology, I had no reason
to believe US sources about what was taking place in this isolated,
besieged country, and I went to the North Korean embassy to get the
collected works of Kim Il Sung, which I had heard had been made
available in English for Africans. I was met by a young Korean woman
outside the embassy, who spoke no English. She was in tears and
overwhelmed, trying in every way she could to convey to this American,
at least one of us, what my country had done to her country, and I
listened with respect and concern, but the language barrier and any
expression in either direction was very difficult. She did give me the
collection, and since i was traveling over land in my several years
odyssey across the world, making it impossible to take the collection
with me, I left the works with African friends. Now of course I wish
that I had kept it, given its historical relevance, and its invaluable
perspective from the other side concerning a system that has somehow
perdured despite unfathomable odds for almost 70 years, amid all the
distorted information we've being fed.

---