[Marxism] Cuban Doctors Revolt: ‘You Get Tired of Being a Slave’

Jon Flanders jonflan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 08:09:49 MDT 2017

On 09/29/2017 08:47 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> (I take anything written about Cuba in the NY Times with a grain of
> salt but still find this disturbing. With the growing dynamic toward
> market solutions in Cuba, is it any surprise that some of its citizens
> would want to exploit their labor power as a free market commodity?)
>
> NY Times, Sept. 29 2017
> Cuban Doctors Revolt: ‘You Get Tired of Being a Slave’
> By ERNESTO LONDOÑO

If you google Cuban Doctors you will find lots of articles like this.
It's a real phenomenon and reflects tensions in Cuba that do exist. The
Cuban government doubled health workers salaries in response to the
disparity of pay between them and those working in the tourist industry.
I certainly saw plenty of hustling going on with tourism in Cuba while I
was there.
But I think the NYT runs this article now because the issue of Cuban aid
to Puerto Rico is staring them in the face. Puerto Rican's will be
asking why Haiti got Cuban medical help and they don't. Not to mention
asking why they can't have Venezuelan oil that has been offered.

Jon Flanders