[Marxism] Another Stasi film? No thanks | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 4 09:39:27 MDT 2018

Ernie, I haven't seen "Barbara" but I refer to it favorably in this
piece. I got a chuckle out of the NY Times article referring to
"mustache-twirling villain", the same words I used in my Counterpunch
article:

In a NY Times profile of Christian Petzold, the director of “Barbara”,
he states that he did not want Stasi operatives to be “depicted as
mustache-twirling villains”. The eponymous lead character is a doctor
who has been banished to the countryside for some unspecified offense,
where she is snooped on by Stasi operatives. We learn from a review of
the film that Petzold was influenced by Alfred Hitchcock, evidence of
which is “the prickles of unease that creep into his work, creating a
cold climate of paranoia and an oft-justified fear of an imminent
threat.” I haven’t seen this film but when it comes to prickles of
unease, you can’t help but think of Hitchcock’s “Torn Curtain”, where
mustache-twirling villains abound.

https://louisproyect.org/2017/03/30/another-stasi-film-no-thanks/