[Marxism] The Clear Connection Between Slavery And American Capitalism

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 20:09:13 MDT 2018

> On Apr 5, 2018, at 9:42 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> When I was young, this magazine used to bill itself as the "Capitalist Tool". Now it has first-rate journalism from a left perspective.

Who would have imagined that outlets like Forbes and Teen Vogue would become sources of analysis that increasingly competes with - and maybe even occasionally beats - the likes of Jacobin and Verso? We’re living through bizarre times.

More seriously, though: How would one account for this phenomenon in materialist terms? Serious question. Are these symptoms of an unravelling ideological hegemony? Or indications of a deeper, tectonic - and maybe only nascent - reconfiguration of competing ruling class interests? It’s fascinating, but I’m at a loss.