[Marxism] Charles Post’s palm-leaf hat | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 8 15:37:57 MDT 2018

Largely as a result of the ferocious debate taking place between the New
Historians of Capitalism (NHC) and their detractors such as Alan
Olmstead, Paul Rohde and Gavin Wright (whom Charles Post relies upon in
his recent Catalyst critique of the NHC), I have decided to dive back
into the controversies. Hopefully, I will find time to read the 3
seminal works by Walter Johnson, Sven Beckert and Edward Baptist that
get the most attention—both positive and negative—but decided to revisit
Charles Post’s analysis. Even though the NHC seem oblivious to his
writings (as he is to mine), it would be useful to have a fresh look at
his “The American Road to Capitalism”. In the past, I focused mainly on
the sections of the book dealing with the South since it was home to the
cotton plantations that he viewed rather amorphously as
“pre-capitalist”, a big-tent kind of term that could include the Inuit
of Admiral Byrd’s time as well as Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello. This
time I read the sections of the book that deal with the North that Post
identifies as the birthplace of American capitalism just as Robert
Brenner identified the English countryside.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/04/08/charles-posts-palm-leaf-hat/