[Marxism] MROnline publishes nonsense once again

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 13 08:06:05 MDT 2018

This time it is from Marxmail subscriber Vijay Prashad who is usually
more reliable than Rick Sterling except when it comes to Syria
unfortunately.

MROnline posted an article by Prashad that originally appeared in
Newsclick (https://newsclick.in/few-options-united-states-syria). He writes:

	Western media reports on the chemical attacks in Douma remain vague.
The Wall Street Journal noted that it was not ‘clear who carried out the
attack’, while the Associated Press said that it ‘was not possible to
independently verify the reports’ that it had received.

As a Columbia University retiree, I continue to have access to
Lexis-Nexis and the WSJ archives. I could find no articles containing
the quoted text above.

Did Prashad make this up? It is entirely possible that there are some
articles that fell through the cracks of Lexis-Nexis and the WSJ archives.

More importantly, he puts forward the same arguments as Max Blumenthal:

	The two groups that have been most certain that this was a chemical
attack and that it was conducted by the Syrian government are the White
Helmets and the Syrian American Medical Society. Both these groups are
on the record as being against the government and seeking external
intervention to help overthrow the government. Both the groups are
closely allied to USAID, an agency of the US government. The Syrian
American Medical Society is run by a former USAID, while the White
Helmets have been recipients of USAID funds. The news coverage has
largely been driven by the views of these two groups.

This kind of crude conspiracy-mongering junk has never appeared in
Prashad's articles before. I would add that the Palestinian journalist
who was gunned down by an IDF sniper was also the beneficiary of USAID
funding.

It is really sad to see MR spreading this kind of horse manure and even
sadder to see a distinguished scholar so willing to pick up a shovel
alongside the unnamed and undistinguished webmaster of MROnline.