[Marxism] Lou Andreas-Salome – The Audacity To Be Free | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 18 11:39:53 MDT 2018

This Friday, an extraordinary film titled “Lou Andreas-Salome – The
Audacity To Be Free” opens at the Village East Cinema in NYC (schedule
info here). I had the good fortune to see the film at the Socially
Relevant Film Festival last month and posted a review of the film on
CounterPunch that is reproduced below. I also took part in a Q&A with
the director that helped me understand the labor of love that went into
it. Cordula Kablitz-Post, the 54 year old director, first came across a
biography of Lou Andreas-Salome 37 years ago and was struck by the
fierce independence of a woman who defied patriarchy in all its
manifestations. She began research on the film 8 years ago and her
ability to recreate the social world of young bohemian philosophers like
Frederich Nietzsche and his friend Paul Rée is a feat in of itself. But,
as I pointed out to her in the Q&A, she also had the ability to breathe
life into these characters and make their struggles as palpably real as
if they were 1960s cultural rebels rather than obscure historical
figures. The film succeeds in the same way that “The Young Karl Marx”
succeeds by making post-Hegelian revolutionaries come alive. If I were
to pick only two narrative films to see this year, it would be those two.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2018/04/18/lou-andreas-salome-the-audacity-to-be-free/