[Marxism] Use of chemical weapons by Syrian rebels

David McDonald davidbyrnemcdonaldiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 09:21:59 MDT 2018

I really hate exposing my own ignorance. But I am still not clear on what
exactly the OPCW said about who bombed Khan Sheikhoun, even after reading
the official statements on the OPCW website.

Everyone, even the Syrian government, acknowledges that sarin was used in
the attack on Khan Sheikhoun. The OPCW mandate on Khan Sheikhoun, according
to OPCW itself, was not to determine who dropped the sarin bombs, but was
only to determine if a chemical attack occurred.

"The FFM’s mandate is to determine whether chemical weapons or toxic
chemicals as weapons have been used in Syria; it does not include
identifying who is responsible for alleged attacks." The FFM (Fact Finding
Mission) then passed along its finding to "the OPCW-UN Joint Investigative
Mechanism (JIM), an independent body established by the UN Security Council
(Resolution 2235, 7 August 2015). The JIM’s purpose was to identify the
perpetrators of the chemical weapon attacks confirmed by the Fact Finding
Mission. The JIM’s mandate expired in December 2017."

So, it appears that the Joint Investigative Mechanism is the body that will
look into who dropped the sarin. But I cannot find any information about
what the JIM said about Khan Sheikhoun.

Any help greatly appreciated.