[Marxism] Use of chemical weapons by Syrian rebels

David McDonald davidbyrnemcdonaldiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:47:13 MDT 2018

I'm still on a quest for a definitive written statement from the OPCW that
the Syrian regime bombed Khan Sheikhoun on April 4, 2017. Mohammad Idrees
Ahmad, in an article here
<https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/syria-2018-iraq-2003-180419144317070.html>,
links to another Al Jazeera article here
<https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/10/panel-blames-syrian-forces-khan-sheikhoun-attack-171026212414046.html>
from October 26, 2017 on the Commission of Inquiry on the Republic of
Syria's forthcoming report, which Al Jazeera headlines thus: "Syrian Forces
Behind Khan Shaikhoun Gas Attack: UN Probe". However, I cannot find the
referenced report anywhere. What I did find was this written statement by
Paulo Sergio Pinheiro, who is the chairman of the COI on Syria:

[Begin quote]

We stress that the vast majority incidents in which civilians are killed
and maimed involve the unlawful use of conventional arms, in particular
through indiscriminate aerial bombardments using cluster munitions and
explosive weapons in civilian populated areas. We have a duty under our
mandate, however, to document the unambiguously illegal use of prohibited
chemical weapons, in blatant violation of international law and attribute
responsibility accordingly. Reporting on such heinous crimes and human
rights violations is at the very core of our work. Silence is also a
statement and we cannot remain silent in such matters.

In several instances, Government forces used chemical weapons against
civilians in opposition-held areas, including in Khan Shaykhun (Idlib) on 4
April. In accordance with our well-established methodology, we gathered
extensive evidence including dozens of interviews, photos of remnants and
satellite imagery and concluded that Syrian aircraft dropped a sarin bomb
in Khan Shaykhun killing over 80 individuals, mostly women and children,
and injuring hundreds more.

This attack took place during a Syrian and Russian aerial campaign in
northern Hama and southern Idlib, which targeted medical facilities. As a
result, these facilities could not provide adequate assistance to victims
of sarin on 4 April."

[End quote]