[Marxism] Berries // Varlam Shalamov

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 25 17:33:31 MDT 2018

A short story by Variam Shalamov

https://shalamov.ru/en/library/34/3.html

Background on Shalamov:

“Shalamov’s experience in the camps was longer and more bitter than my
own,” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote in The Gulag Archipelago. “I
respectfully confess that to him and not me it was given to touch those
depths of bestiality and despair toward which life in the camps dragged
us all.”

Varlam Shalamov was a decade older than Solzhenitsyn. Born in Vologda in
1907, he was arrested for the first time in Moscow, in 1929, for seeking
to distribute copies of “Lenin’s Testament”—a document that called for
Stalin’s removal as General Secretary of the Communist Party’s Central
Committee. Sentenced to three years’ hard labor, he ended up in a camp
in the Urals. In 1932, he returned to Moscow, where he wrote and worked
as a journalist. Then, at the height of Stalin’s purges, in 1937, he was
arrested again, for “counter-revolutionary Trotskyite activities.” This
time, Shalamov ended up in Magadan, the Siberian city that served as an
entry point for forced labor camps in the Kolyma region—camps in which
millions of men, women, and children starved, froze to death, were
worked to death, or were murdered outright. He remained in Kolyma until
1953, slaving away in its gold mines, coal mines, and lumber camps
before landing a series of jobs in camp hospitals that made it possible
to survive.

 From Bookforum (behind a paywall)

NY Times obit:
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/19/obituaries/varlam-shalamov-is-dead-at-74-portrayed-stalin-s-prison-camps.html