[Marxism] Recommending This CounterPunch Article On "Freak Show Democracy"

William Quimby quimbywm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:27:24 MDT 2018

I'm not sure who Paul Street is - given the shakiness of left-supporting
writers in CounterPunch and
other leftish publications he may be a secret Assadist, or have a
library full of reactionary writers -
but these two paragraphs were precious!

Recommending the whole article.

- Bill

"There’s a lot of factors in play but one nobody seems to care about and
that deserves far more attention
than it receives is the archaic, explicitly anti-democratic 18^th
century aristo-republican U.S. Constitution
that we moronically venerate and follow twenty-three decades after it
was ratified for the clear purpose of
protecting propertied elites against the non-affluent American majority.

Our Holy Constitution’s (OHC’s) Electoral College (EC) permits an absurd
over-representation of rural
and disproportionately white, rural, racist, and Republican states in
presidential elections.  We do not
elect presidents directly, on the one-person, one-vote basis of majority
rule, an elementary principle of
democracy. The EC has trumped the popular vote in five presidential
elections, including 2016 and two
of the last five."

<https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08/24/this-a-freak-show-not-a-democracy-thanks-founders/>

---