[Marxism] ZCommunications » George HW Bush thought the world belonged to his family

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 3 06:12:43 MST 2018

By Ariel Dorfman.

As the world says goodbye to George HW Bush, I am tempted to add my own
personal memories to the mix, and illuminate perhaps his legacy by
recounting the two intense nights that my wife and I spent in close
proximity to the former president at the end of October 2001.

It was at the Park Hyatt hotel in Sydney, where I had been invited to
deliver the Centennial Lecture celebrating the Federation of Australia.
The day after our arrival, the hotel manager – a corpulent, affable man
of Spanish extraction – asked us if we wouldn’t mind exchanging our
suite, only for the next two days, he said, for another one, just as
nice, he promised, elsewhere on the premises.

https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/george-hw-bush-thought-the-world-belonged-to-his-family/