[Marxism] A Boy Erased; The Miseducation of Cameron Post | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 7 12:18:24 MST 2018

This year two narrative films shared the same subject matter: the damage
that conversion therapy does to gay people following a regimen based on
Christian fundamentalism and bogus psychotherapy in order to “change”.
“The Boy Erased” had a bigger budget and a more conventional Hollywood
distribution path than the indie “The Miseducation of Cameron Post” that
played in arthouses but both are excellent. The first is currently
playing in theaters everywhere, advertised heavily, and considered as
possible Oscar-bait while the second that opened over the summer can now
be seen as VOD. I made a point of seeing both films after watching a
segment on Sunday Morning CBS News a couple of months ago about
conversion therapy, a practice that struck me as utterly barbaric. After
saying something about the two films, I will conclude with some
observations about how the “sky religions” have managed to maintain
utterly inhuman practices based on a couple of sentences in the book of
Leviticus in the Old Testament, notwithstanding shifting attitudes
toward same-sexers over the eons.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2018/12/07/a-boy-erased-the-miseducation-of-cameron-post/