[Marxism] PhD Supervision

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 16:33:41 MST 2018

Well, the short answer is "no," but how did you wind up in such a
position?  Nobody here forces anyone to be on a grad student's committee,
much less be an advisor or dissertation director.

I have never given a good damn about what somebody calls themselves.  When
I started grad school, I met a self-described "Marxist" who voted
Republican.  And then, there's good history written by people who would
probably never call themselves "Marxist."  In academe, the term is
practically meaningless.

Finally, considering who's already there, we shouldn't see ourselves as
gatekeepers of the Holy Chamber.   For years, the most widely interviewed
professional historian in the U.S. was Newt Gingrich, a first rate dummy
with all the ethics of an alley cat that joined the Mob . . . wait, I want
to retract that statement, which is really unfair to alley cats.

Cheers,
Mark L.