[Marxism] The Insect Armageddon

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 21:18:55 MST 2018

Postscript: “Our planet is now in the midst of its sixth mass extinction of
plants and animals — the sixth wave of extinctions in the past half-billion
years. We’re currently experiencing the worst spate of species die-offs
since the loss of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Although extinction
is a natural phenomenon, it occurs at a natural “background” rate of about
one to five species per year. Scientists estimate we’re now losing species
at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going
extinct every day.” (Source: The Extinction Crisis, Center for Biological
Diversity, biologicaldiversity.org) Whew!

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/12/07/the-deathly-insect-dilemma/

According to the Xerces Society <https://xerces.org/>, a conservation
organization, in the 1980s between 10 million and 4.5 million monarchs
spent the winter in California. The last count
<https://xerces.org/2018/11/15/western-monarch-numbers-low-this-year/>,
conducted annually by volunteers each November, showed that in 2018 there
may be as few as 30,000 across the state – a number that’s 87% lower than
just the year before.

Anurag Agrawal, an ecology and evolutionary biology professor at Cornell
University, suggests that the butterflies are like the canary in the coal
mine. In a blog
<https://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/2018/07/no-shortage-dangers-monarch-butterfly-no-easy-answers-either/>
about
his work, he said that because they travel across North America every year,
monarch migration can be helpful in determining the “health of our entire
continent”. But saving them could require big changes. “We have to take a
step back and ask ourselves the harder questions that none of us want to
deal with.” He said monarchs are “are exhibiting multi-decadal declines
that point to very big systemic problems. We shouldn’t fool ourselves”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/07/its-a-sad-reality-a-troubling-trend-sees-a-97-decline-in-monarch-butterflies